Easy to make and a hit at events, chicken skewers feature succulent chicken bits and garden-fresh vegetables.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-1/2-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients; set aside 1/4 cup for basting. Pour half into a large bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Pour the remaining marinade into another large bowl. Add the zucchini, onions and tomatoes; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate chicken and vegetables for up to 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken and vegetables, discarding marinade. Alternately thread chicken and vegetables onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
1 skewer: 244 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.