A harvest bowl recipe is a nutritious and colorful dish that typically features a combination of seasonal vegetables, grains, and proteins, often topped with a flavorful sauce or dressing.
FOR THE BOWLS:
- 1 1/2 c. wild rice blend
- 2 2/3 c. chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 rotisserie chicken, about 2 pounds
- 2 c. fresh baby kale
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and cubed
- 1/2 c. crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 c. roasted, salted almonds, coarsely chopped
FOR THE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- For the bowls: Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place the rice blend in a fine mesh sieve. Rinse the rice under water, using your hand to move the rice around for about 1 minute. Place the rice in a medium saucepan with the broth, butter, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, 45 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and keep the rice covered for another 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, line a large baking sheet with foil. Add the Brussels sprouts and sweet potato. Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne, tossing to coat. Roast until the vegetables are tender and browned, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- For the balsamic vinaigrette: In a mason jar, add the balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously until the ingredients are well combined, about 15 seconds. Add the olive oil and shake the closed jar again until the dressing is well emulsified. Store in the refrigerator and shake well before using.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred or cut the meat into cubes, as desired.
- To serve: Divide the baby kale among four bowls. Spoon on the wild rice and divide the Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, chicken, apple, goat cheese, and almonds. Drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette.