Indulge in a comforting Sunday meal with this Slow Cooker Red Wine Sunday Ragù Pasta recipe, where tender chunks of meat simmer in a rich red wine-infused sauce, creating a flavorful and hearty pasta dish that’s perfect for a leisurely weekend dinner.
- 4-5 pounds bone-in beef, short ribs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine, such as Sangiovese
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely crushed or chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage, or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, save the rind
- 1 pound dry pappardelle or tagliatelle pasta
- 8 ounces burrata cheese, at room temperature, for serving
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon. If there’s excess bacon grease, drain off all but 1 tablespoon. Add the short ribs and sear on both sides. Remove the ribs and transfer them to the slow cooker along with the bacon.
- To the slow cooker, add the parmesan rind, wine, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, 4 tablespoons butter, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours.
- Once done cooking, remove the short ribs, let cool slightly, then shred the meat and discard the bones, parmesan rind, and thyme. Add the shredded meat and parmesan, and toss with the sauce. Keep warm.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss the pasta with 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Divide the pasta between plates, add the ragù, and toss well. Top each serving with burrata and additional parmesan.