This salad’s star ingredient, ribeye steak, makes it easy enough to prepare on a weeknight yet delicious enough to plan a gathering around.
4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2″ slices
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 lb. boneless ribeye steak
Freshly ground black pepper
5 oz. baby arugula and/or baby spinach
1 avocado, pitted, sliced
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
Torn fresh basil leaves, for serving
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook garlic and oil, stirring occasionally, until garlic is fragrant and softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer garlic to a blender. Add vinegar, granulated sugar, salt, and pepper and blend until very smooth. Pour into a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; heat 5 minutes and clean grates well. Drizzle onion with oil; season with salt. Generously season steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill onions, turning once, until char marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes per side, and grill steak, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 130° for medium-rare, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer onions and steak to a cutting board. Let cool slightly. Thinly slice steak against the grain.
- On a large platter, arrange arugula. Top with steak, onions, avocado, tomatoes, blue cheese, and basil. Drizzle with dressing before serving.