Sorry, grilled chicken. Avocado is the hero of this high-protein, low-carb dish. It contributes to the creation of a creamy, dairy-free pesto that is rich in heart-healthy fats.
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken & Avocado
- 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice
- 2 1/4 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 1 cup of loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup of loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Six 12-inch metal skewers or twelve 6-inch bamboo skewers
Directions for making Grilled Chicken & Avocado
- Prepare an outdoor grill or a grill pan for medium heat.
- Whisk together one tablespoon of the oil and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the oil and toss to coat the entire breast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the chicken and thread it onto metal or bamboo skewers.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat, frequently tossing, until lightly golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine all of the pine nuts, basil, parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper in a food processor. Add the avocado, lemon juice, and remaining three tablespoons of oil and process until mostly smooth.
- Grill the chicken breasts, often turning until just cooked through, for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the chicken dolloped with the pesto and any extra pesto on the side.
Learn More About PHN
Learn more about Primary Health Network’s services by visiting our services page.
Connect with our PHN Blog to learn more health tips and news or visit our Facebook & Instagram to see all the exciting things we are up to.