Add a twist to this Pan Seared Salmon with this kale and apple salad combo to bring a sweet crunch to your next meal.
Ingredients for Pan Seared Salmon
- Four 5-ounce center-cut salmon fillets
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch of kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup of dates
- 1 Honey crisp apple
- 1/4 cup of finely grated pecorino cheese
- 3 tablespoons of toasted slivered almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat dinner rolls
Directions for making Pan Seared Salmon
- Remove the salmon from storage and bring it to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
- While the salmon is dethawing, mix the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss the mixture to coat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- While the kale stands, cut the dates into thin slivers and the apple into matchstick-sized slices. Add the dates, apples, pecorino cheese, and almonds to the kale. Season with pepper, toss well, and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and some pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon, skin-side up, in the pan. Cook until the salmon turns golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook the salmon until it feels firm to the touch, about another 3 minutes more.
- Divide the salmon, salad, and rolls evenly among four plates and serve.