What exactly is mindfulness? Mindfulness is defined as a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interruption or judgment. The best way to begin mindfulness is to just start!
Practicing mindfulness has been linked to helping one reduce stress, anxiety, and depression and increase the ability to control emotions. Mindfulness practice can also help to center attention and be more focused on thoughts and feelings without judgment. When you become more present in your life, it can help manage emotions, be fully engaged in life and make better decisions.
Here are a few steps to start:
- Sit in a comfortable position in a quiet place.
- Pay attention to your environment and surroundings.
- Be present and try to keep focused.
- Focus on your breathing. Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth.
- Accept the person you are in that moment and simply be kind to yourself.