Life can be stressful, and everyone experiences some amount of stress nearly every day, whether it is rushing to meet a work deadline, making sure financial ends meet, or worrying about your child’s grades in school. While some day-to-day stress is normal and can usually be managed without a problem, too much stress can take a serious toll on our health and well-being. It can cause severe physical symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, and upset stomach. Emotionally, unhealthy stress levels can lead to anxiety, depression, irritability, and more. These are all signs that your body and mind need a break from the stress you are experiencing.
Stress relief doesn’t have to involve an expensive trip to the spa or a week-long vacation. Small habits that you do on a daily basis can help you pause and reset. Try one – or several – of these 10 tips to relieve stress:
- Take a walk – even just 5 minutes will help you relax
- Read your favorite book or watch your favorite movie
- Drink a cup of caffeine-free tea, such as peppermint or chamomile
- Talk to a trusted loved one
- Meditate or practice yoga
- Watch a funny video – laughter is a wonderful stress reliever
- Write in your journal
- Think of three things you are grateful for
- Listen to music, whether it’s soothing white noise or your favorite rock album
- Take a deep breath and count to 10
If you are still struggling with severe stress, anxiety, or depression, schedule an appointment with your family doctor or one of our behavioral health specialists.
If you are experiencing a behavioral health or psychiatric emergency, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at: 1-800-273-TALK.