This Tex-Mex grain bowl is unique in that it is both nutritious and delicious. Oatmeal is one of the most regularly sweetened foods. Although most people don’t think of using it in savory dishes, they should! Give this recipe a try!
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats or multigrain hot cereal
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
In a large saucepan, bring water and taco seasoning to a boil. Stir in oats; cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Divide oatmeal among 4 bowls. Top with beans, salsa, cheese, avocado, and toppings as desired. Serve immediately.