What better way to celebrate the first day of spring than with this delicious and soft hummingbird cake? The fresh pineapple and bananas provide a burst of flavor that will put you right in the mood for spring. It’s topped with a thick cream cheese frosting and a large amount of coconut to keep the flavors going.
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, divided.
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups mashed overripe bananas
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
Frosting and Topping:
12 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temp.
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans (at least 2-inch tall) and line bottoms with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and lightly dust pans with flour, shake out excess.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together finely chopped pineapple with 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together remaining 2 1/4 cups flour, the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium-high speed, whip together granulated sugar, brown sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Slowly blend in vegetable oil, then mix in vanilla extract. Add half of the flour mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold just until combined. Add mashed bananas and fold to combine, then add remaining flour mixture and fold until combined. Fold in pineapple mixture and chopped pecans.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cake pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 34 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in cake pans 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge to loosen and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting and gently press coconut onto sides. If desired decorate top with a ring of whole or chopped pecans near outside edge.
- For the cream cheese frosting: In the mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and blend again until shade becomes whiter and frosting is fluffy. To firm up the frosting a bit freeze in 3 minute increments mixing between increments until it’s reached a slightly stiffer consistency.
Calories from Fat 342
Saturated Fat 24g
Vitamin A 620IU
Vitamin C 8mg