Old Glory has never looked this tasty! With this recipe, you’ll be sure to fall in love with the refreshing lightness of this honey whipped cream frosting, but you certainly can’t go wrong with a classic vanilla buttercream if you so choose. Either way, this recipe will bring all the red, white, and blue that you will need for your 4th of July celebration.
- 2 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 c. granulated sugar
Honey whipped cream
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 4 tsp. cold water
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. honey
- Quartered strawberries
- 1 c. raspberries
- 1/3 c. blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Place the butter and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until the butter is melted; set aside.
- Place the eggs in the stand-mixer bowl with the whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey whipped cream, place a stand-mixer bowl in the freezer to chill briefly.
- Place water in a small microwave-safe shallow bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let stand until the gelatin has bloomed (about 5 minutes; the mixture will become solid).
- Microwave the bowl on low for 10 seconds, or until the mixture dissolves to a syrup consistency. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place heavy cream in a chilled stand mixer bowl and, on medium-high speed, beat until thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and add the honey, beating for 1 minute.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add in the gelatin mixture and beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- To assemble the cake: Frost the cake with honey whipped cream. Create a blue corner with blueberries. Stripe cake with strawberries and raspberries.