This simple pasta dish feels indulgent without being overly rich, thanks to the heart-healthy avocado. To your surprise, the flavorful sauce will have you thinking there is some creamy goodness hiding inside, but to your surprise, it’s dairy and guilt-free.
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) of protein-enriched rotini (about 3-1/2 cups uncooked).
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted.
- 1 cup fresh spinach.
- 1/4 cup of loosely packed basil leaves.
- 2 garlic cloves, halved.
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon of coarsely ground pepper.
- 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- 1 cup of assorted cherry tomatoes, halved.
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts.
- Optional: shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and grated lime zest.
- Cook rotini according to package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, place avocados, spinach, basil, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until chopped. Continue processing while gradually adding oil in a steady stream.
- Drain the rotini and place it in a large mixing bowl. Add the avocado mixture and tomatoes; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts, and add toppings as desired.
- 314 calories
- 18g fat (2g saturated fat)
- 0 cholesterol
- 125mg sodium
- 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber)
- 9g protein